Cicada Press was established by its Director Michael Kempson at the College of Fine Arts, The University of NSW in 2004 to foster research projects that facilitate a diverse contemporary dialogue and promote the broad methodological potential of printmaking practice.
For students at COFA the Cicada Press Workshop is an educationally focussed custom printing model that has an emphasis on open dialogue, broad relationships with the artistic community, informal teaching processes with a constant that highlights the importance of lived experience in learning.
- To support practical research into autographic, photographic and digital printmaking processes.
- To mediate in the production of fine art prints created by artists, collaborative teams and indigenous communities invited to work within COFA Custom Printing undergraduate and postgraduate courses.
- To foster relationships through printmaking related projects between COFAUNSW and university art schools internationally.
- To provide educational leadership as a centre of excellence in custom printmaking practice.
- To develop a local, regional and international dialogue through print exchange exhibitions that reflect current research outcomes.